[PITTSBURGH, PA] — The Pittsburgh Forge Rugby Club (PFRC) is seeking Assistant Coaches for our men’s sides. An Assistant Coach is expected to make a commitment of time, energy, and effort to the development of players on our Club.
For the fall season, which runs from mid-August through mid-November, the Club is expecting to operate five (5) sides, four (4) of which play a competitive league schedule within the Midwest Rugby Union. Our competitive sides include Men’s Divisions 1, 3, and 4. Our teams typically train twice per week during the evening with our top sides playing an eight-game schedule and our men’s lower-division sides play approximately 5- 8 matches depending on league playoffs. Locations for matches are typically in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. Some trips to Chicago are not out of the question.
In the spring, which runs from mid-March through mid-May, our teams continue to train twice per week but usually books a more social or developmental schedule consisting of matches and tournaments against opponents not seen during league play. If a team or side earns a bid to USA Club Rugby Playoffs/ Nationals, those matches would also be held in the spring.
Assistant Coaching Role
Assistant Coaches are expected to assist in leading a team and provide development to all players, regardless of level or skill. Additionally, Assistant Coaches must work with each side within their respective team to implement the same game strategy across all divisions.
Assistant Coach Requirements:
- World Rugby Level 1 Coach (formerly L200) Certification is required; World Rugby Level 2 Coach (formerly L300) is preferred.
- Work within, and be able to aid in the development of, the scheme designed by each team’s respective Head Coach, and duly administer the game plan and tactics to players.
- Ability to develop players at all skill levels and create match strategies.
- Must be able to function independently as a game manager in the absence of the Head Coach when a lower-side match is time or location differs from the higher side or sides.
- Must be able to coach both forward and backline players.
- Must attend training and matches on a regular basis.
- Must have strong leadership and effective communication skills.
Club offerings for Assistant Coaches:
- A seasonal stipend commensurate with experience.
- An atmosphere of competitive players willing to constantly learn and develop.
- An opportunity to work renowned and professional Head Coaches.
- A large alumni network for professional connections. *
- A professionally administrated club with an active Board of Directors.
If interested, applicants are asked to submit the following information via email to email@example.com:
- In your email, please provide a brief introduction of yourself.
- Rugby resume.
- Professional resume.
- At least one (1) rugby-related reference.
- Explanation of coaching style, preferred strategies, and any additional information you deem necessary to share.
The Club is actively accepting applications. Qualified applicants can submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will reach out to qualified applicants to schedule interviews. The PRFC thanks you in advance for your interest in coaching our teams and look forward to learning about what you can bring to our Club.
PFRC Coaching Committee
* Coaching is a commitment and other factors affect your ability to honor that obligation. PRFC can supply access to our professional network to assist in job placement if necessary. Please inform us if you require such assistance to be able to coach a team for the Forge. The need for outside employment will not be considered as a basis to be hired as an Assistant Coach.